This reference applies to most futures traded on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the Chicago Board of Trade.
- Rollover is 8 days before contract expiration.
- Rollover is usually on the second Thursday of every month. However, if the first day of the month is a Friday, the rollver day will be the first Thursday of the month.
- Expiration day is the 3rd Friday of the following months: March, June, September, and December.
- The contracy symbol associated with the expiration months are: March = H, June = M, September = U, December = Z. For example, the emini S&P symbol is the ES. So the symbol the emini S&P December contract would be ESZ06. (06 being the year)
- Liquidity of the contract will shift on the rollover date. Make sure you trade the correct contract. You should be able to notice by the lack of liquidity in your underlying instrument.
- If you are swing or position trading several days before rollver, make sure to use the newer contract instead.